Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Double Chocolate Cupcakes

 

Baked these yesterday as a test batch for a coworker who wants 5 dozen "really dark" chocolate cupcakes for her upcoming wedding reception. The cupcake recipe itself was alright... I may alter it a bit 
(yogurt instead of buttermilk? Melted butter instead of oil?), but the frosting- oh my! So amazingly delicious. I've used this recipe before, with milk chocolate, for a 2 layered yellow cake. With dark (71% cacao) and 
ultra-dark (85% cacao) chocolate, though, it was absolutely phenomenal.

So, here are the recipes I used. 

One-Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes - 'Martha Stewart's Cupcakes'
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a standard muffin tin with paper liners. With an electric mixer on medium speed, whisk 1 1/2 c. flour, 1 1/2 c. sugar, 3/4 c. cocoa powder, 1 1/2 tsp baking soda, 3/4 tsp baking powder and 3/4 tsp salt. Reduce speed to low and add 2 eggs, 3/4 c. buttermilk, 3 Tbsp vegetable oil, 1 tsp vanilla extract, and 3/4 c. warm water. Beat until smooth and combined. (It was super watery- I was concerned at first... wettest batter ever, but made for very moist cake.) Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake until done, about 20 minutes, rotating pan halfway through cooking time. Cool pan on a rack for 10 minutes before removing cupcakes. Cool completely before frosting. (The cookbook says it will yield 18, but I got one dozen regular sized, and 30 minis.)

*EDIT*
I trust Martha, so I made these according to her recipe, but for the actual wedding reception cupcakes I used melted butter instead of oil (Because, really, why not? Butter rules!). I also replaced the 3/4 cup hot water with 3/4 cup hot, strong coffee. I'm not a coffee-drinker myself, but I keep some granules around for recipes, and it really bumped up the chocolate flavor. So good!

Foolproof Chocolate Frosting - Cook's Illustrated Magazine, April 2008
In a food processor, combine 20 Tbsp (2 1/2 sticks) slightly softened unsalted butter, 1 c. confectioner's sugar, 3/4 c. cocoa powder and a pinch of salt. Pulse until smooth, about 30 seconds. Add 3/4 c. light corn syrup, 1 tsp vanilla extract, and pulse until smooth. Add 8 ounces chocolate, melted and cooled, (You can use any type of good quality chocolate) and pulse until smooth and creamy. Can be made up to 3 hours before ready to use. Makes enough for a 2 layer cake, or lots of cupcakes. 
(Very soft, but pipes fairly neatly. Sets up very nicely after a day or so.)

I made some baby ones, too, because I'm a huge fan of mini food. Everything is better when it's mini sized.

No comments:

Post a Comment