Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Inspiration: 1970s calico

I absolutely loathe my work clothes, partly because I've been wearing a hibiscus-printed tee shirt 5 days a week for the last 7+ years, and partly because it's a hibiscus-printed tee shirt in the first place. In my real-life wardrobe, I own maybe 5 tee shirts, only one of which I love- boat neck, black, with a screen print of Bambi on it. I love coming home from work and transforming from work-Lauren to real-life-Lauren.

 Maybe it's because I live in the Northwest now and seasons are happening. Maybe it's because my dreadlocks make me look like a hippie. Maybe it's because I read a lot of historical fiction as a kid, or because my Pandora stations have been kind of James Taylor/Fleetwood Mac/Carole King/Simon and Garfunkel heavy lately. At any rate, my current jam is wearing lace-up boots and 1970s/80s calico prints. It started with a navy blue Gunne Sax skirt I found while thrifting this spring, and has escalated into an entire sub-genre of my closet. Vintage prairie chic. It's happening. I was also peer-pressured by my dear friend Jaime (Tinker Tin Trailer Co.) to try on a fabulous pair of Free People bell-bottoms at a resale shop one day. I was hesitant, but I LOVE them now. Lace-up boots + those jeans + vintage plaid = comfy AND figure-flattering. (I typically go for form over function, but it's nice when the two marry so well.)

All I'm missing is the perfect Carly Simon hat. Though, with my hair in dreads now, I'm not sure if I have much of a future in hat wearing.


No comments:

Post a Comment